Wednesday, June 9, 2010

At Long Last


I have grey hair. Not a little, not one here or there. No, at least 50% of all my hair is grey. I've been dying my hair for years and years now, not because it's fashionable, but because I have to. This forces me to go once a month to the salon and get it done. No matter where you live in the world, you don't want to be spending all of your money covering up you grey, so I have been on the hunt for a salon that will meet my needs. I'm not that picky. What I want is a perfect dye job at the lowest possible price.

I've been scheduling every month with different professionals in different salons, but the reality is that I need something close to home, walking distance, and affordable, or I just won't do it as often as I need to. Yesterday I scheduled with a salon at a mall near my house. My sister and I joke that it's the place where stores go to die because it is so abandoned. Well, I discovered that it only looks that way because everyone is in the shops and most of the shops are salons. The place is actually booming. Very odd. Like everyone's in on the same joke, they all got the memo but you.

The other thing about this mall is that it's built like a maze. You walk in and immediately you have no idea how to get out. I really should have Hansl and Greteled my way around there, but sadly I didn't think of it. Needless to say, when I went looking for my salon I got lost. Really lost. Embarrassingly lost . You know how sometimes you don't want to look like the idiot walking around lost, or waiting for someone, so you pretend to be having a conversation on the phone so no one thinks your a friendless loser? Am I the only one that does that? Well, that's what I was doing to save face - thank God no one called me while I was fake talking on the phone - it's so embarrassing when that happens.

I finally did make an real call to my sister and we had a great time laughing at my predicament and lo and behold, while I was talking to her I found the place! Mi corazón sank when I saw it though. It was a dump. Small, dinky, old chairs and equipment - with the exception of one nice coffee machine.There were so many awesome salons all around them and I had to blindly choose the only loser place. As it turns out, after much searching and bouncing from one colorist to the next, I finally found the one who will do my hair every month. Her hands are magic. And although the place looked less than awesome, the products were high quality and the people were all very friendly and the environment was quite agreeable - Plus I paid next to nothing for one of the best dye jobs of my life. I walked out of there looking red carpet worthy.

3 comments:

Leticia Moraes said...

can never judge a book by the cover, like they say!, ha! Looks aren't everything!

Jamie said...

Ha, I liked this post!!! I think we have all been there before ... glad you finally found a good place!

angie said...

Whaha, yes, you're the only one I know who talks on the phone to no one while pretending not to be lost... hehehehe :P