Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Holiday Looks 2009

Let's analyze this season's Holiday looks starting with Estee Lauder. Gold eyes, a perfect red lip, flawless skin. What's not to love? It's not original, different, or necessarily creative, but it is traditional. I like a perfect traditional look for Christmas and from what I've seen and read, the collection is lovely and very wearable all year round.

Bobbi Brown. This is one of my faves. To me it's different, perhaps more of a New Year's look, it's beautiful and rrrrr. I think this is perfect for colder climates. For the Southern hemisphere I would recommend a warmer nude lippy, it would brighten everything up.

Guerlain. I really don't think there's anything special about this look at all. I know they have this awesome powder thingy for this collection that is super blogworthy, but aside from that it's pretty basic and doesn't stand out in any way. What I'm trying to say is that there's nothing here that screams holiday, at least not to me. That being said, the collection itself is très gorgeous and totally covet worthy. It doesn't say "holiday" to me, but I can appreciate that it's a lovely, lovely collection.

YSL. This feels dated to me. There's a basic rule in makeup about pairing a strong eye with a strong lippy. It doesn't apply to high fashion or statement shoots, but it does very much apply to walking around makeup. I wouldn't be caught dead with a smokey black/brown eye and red lips, but it seems YSL wants us to go for it.

Smashbox. Very lovely, sweet, flirty, and fun. I love this one, it may be my fave. I think it's appropriate and different.

Nars. I know the look here doesn't seem wearable, it's a high fashion look you would see on the runway, but it shows off the colors perfectly. That brown shadow is stunning and I've always loved the way brown smokey eyes look paired with pink lips. This is a very good option for someone who wants a more intense look, but also wants to keep it upbeat (as opposed to the Bobbi Brown look, which is more serious).

MAC. Here we see purple shadow again. This is a bit more "angelic" and I like it. It's paired with baby pink cheeks, highlighter and a pink nude lippy. Very now, very cool.

Lancome. So beautiful! Of course, it helps that Kate is doing her "English Rose" thing, but wow, it's stunning. The simplicity of the eyes stand out because the skin is perfectly flawless and luminous. The subtle glow to the dusty red lips adds a holiday sparkle that is understated, subtle and chic. Ok, this is my fave. The more I look at it, the more I love it. The key to this look would be to use a luminous foundation with medium coverage, good concealer, highlighter, subtle bronzer to contour and nothing more, then a perfectly applied lippy with lip liner. I recommend buying this exact color from Lancome as it's a keeper - you'll get lots of mileage out of it.

Christian Dior. Lavender eyes again only this time cold and uninviting. I'm not feeling this look at all. It's luminous, but it's not holiday love. No, I don't think so. If you're wearing silver for New Years, this is a good way to go, but in my opinion, the MAC look is better.

Chanel. Very different, creative and chic. Color makes a subtle statement and then lips are kept almost bare so as not to distract or clash with the eyes. This looks takes a bit more precision and care to execute because you don't want your color too bright, or not buffed enough. Less is more here.

No comments: