Monday, November 2, 2009

10 Worst Food Trends - according to the Chicago Tribune

Photo from SeriousEats.com

I signed up for the Serious Eats newsletter and it was one of the best things I've done. I signed up for it years ago, but every week I get it I'm excited about what I'm going to see. Articles range from helpful to entertaining and it's always a treat. Yesterday I opened the newletter and my eyes fell on the link called "The 10 Worst Food Trends? Really?". Oh, man, it made me laugh! I went right to the original article they're referring to in the Chicago Tribune and it's a great read. Check it out here.

Here are my comments on the 10 Worst Food Trends:

10. Fried Onion Blossom - Uh, yummy! I hardly ever eat this, maybe like once a year, but when I do I really enjoy it. I think it's an awesome thing.

9. Molecular Gastronomy - I think everyone's going overboard and most of the time you can't tell it's food. It's lost its charm. No me gusta. It's one thing to combine technology and research with food prep to understand more about the ingredients the way Heston Blumenthal does, but it's another thing entirely to make your food a science lab experiment and expect us not to think of it as food for aliens and pretentious fools.

8. The $40 entree - Total agreement. If it's a serious place, alrighty, but at a regular neighborhood place, I don't think so.

7. The communal table - No thank you!

6. Proudly obnoxious fast food options - I agree. In a day and age when we're supposedly getting more appreciative of good and well made food, wholesome ingredients which have been carefully grown/raised and prepared, bragging about a sandwich humans should never eat (at least not on a regular basis) is just sad and weird - not to mention alarming.

5. Knee-jerk online reviews - I don't mind that so much. You can have a good food critic go on and one and sometimes they're just full of it. To get a review from a simple blogger is usually more honest and easier to believe. I do agree that you can't base your review solely on opening night, other than that, I think it's fine.

4. Foam - Hahahaha! This one cracked me up! I couldn't agree more. What the frick is foam? Puh-lease.

3. Menu as book - This one was so funny! People waxing poetic in their menus. Cracked me up! It's soooo pretentious! - and not in a good way, in a totally boring way!

2. Chef as media whore - Oh, snap! That's hilarious - and true. Sometimes they earn their place in the media spotlight, but sometimes they just know how to market themselves better, or have people who market them better. I'm not impressed. Although, in their defense, they can cook, and they did work hard to get where they are, regardless of the spotlight. What gets me sometimes is I just don't see why they're all over the place, everywhere you look. Are they really that good? No really. Is Rocco? Is Bobby Flay? Is that Italian mob guy Emiril? Probably not. But they can seriously work the crowds and they are entertaining to watch. Well, not Emiril, or Rocco, but for the most part they're fun to watch.

1. Deconstruction - OMG! Thank God someone else said it! I've been saying it for ages: foam, deconstruction, molecular crap - what in frick? So it's not just me. There are others out there who are just like, enough already!

No comments: