Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Dab, brush, pat, sponge or rub?

This is the from the Bobby Brown Chrome Holiday Collection. I think that if we could find a way to warm up the look just a tad, make it more summer friendly, it would be perfect for our holiday in this hemisphere. What do you think?

I was reading the Lancome Blog the other day (it's a fantastic daily read) and I came across an interesting comment by Kerry Diamond. She mentioned that as she was watching Lancome makeup artist Aaron De Mey put makeup on the girls backstage during NY fashion week, he would delicately layer product on. Most of us, like Kerry, spread a good amount of product on our face and then go back and tissue some of it off or correct it with a Q-tip. While this is just fine, you do not achieve the same transparency and color that you do when you place small amounts of product in layers until you reach your desired intensity. This also allows for more color play.

When I say color play, I mean that it allows us to mix colors and textures to get different colors, looks, feel and performance. Taking the time to delicately layer cream eyeshadow before applying powder color helps the eye color last longer, intensifies it and removes any possiblity of transparency. Layering bronzer and blush, then highlighter or shimmer makes all the difference when you want to pull off a perfectly sculptured and healthy cheek.

I was talking about this with my sister and we got to discussing when we use our fingers, brushes or sponges. Everyone has a specific way they apply makeup, and depending on how you do it you may need to wash or wipe your hands a few times before you're finished. This is why most makeup artists rely heavily on their brushes. Not only does it simplify the process, it helps keep most of the product off their hands.


I use all three, at different times for different things. When using foundation I don't like to sponge it on. I know that's weird, but I feel like I lose most of my product to the sponge. I like expensive foundation and I just can't bear to part with at least half every time I apply. At the same time, I feel like a brush is good for getting the product on my face, sometimes, but it leaves some streaks. The only way to be certain of the perfect application is to rub the foundation in with my fingers. This allows for control and a streakless, wasteless application. Sponges are good for pancake foundation, though.

I was watching a video of a makeup artist and he would "warm" the product up on his hand first, then apply it in light dabs with his finger. He would even wipe off part of the product from the mascara wand. I don't see that in my future, but I do love the end result. So, I guess the idea is, we have to find what's best for us, not be afraid to try something new, and remember: delicate layers of transparent color. Beautiful, luminous, delicate layers.

Here's a video with Lancome makeup artist Alex Sanchez that clearly shows the "warming up on the skin" techinique as well as the delicate layering. I felt it was important for me to post this because it is a good reminder to all of us (and by all of us I mean a certain couple of people I know - you know who you are) to keep in real, smooth, delicate and for Lancome's sake - stay away from the cakey, flakey, tranny mess!

No comments: