Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Book Review: 4 Blondes by Candace Bushnell

Disclaimer: I think that most of you know by now that I feel very strongly about things. In general, I'm not a "sit on the fence" type of person. Well, a couple of years ago I read a book that was so lame it horrified me. Looking back now, there is a slight possibility that my reaction was a bit exaggerated, but at the time I felt it was justified. I put the book down before I even finished it (although to my chagrin I read nearly all of it) and wrote a very angry review. I think you're all old enough to read it, although I have to warn you, it's not nice. Without further ado, here goes:

A Book Review on Candace Bushnell's 4 Blondes

by Flor

There are few things in life that can be considered as horrible as this book. Candace Bushnell is the anti-Christ of literature. If the publishing houses keep putting out this kind of excrement and passing it off as literature, I have no doubt the world will soon be illiterate. Not only is her book poorly and annoyingly written, it is vulgar, cheap and disgusting. Some of the things she writes are so awful that I'm thinking of getting hypnosis is a desperate effort to forget them.

All of the things that we strive never to mention, and always to ignore for propriety's sake, she casually mentions as if she's writing out a shopping list. Her characters are shallow and stupid, as I'm sure she is as well. I have no idea how she can look herself in the mirror after writing a book like this. I have no idea how her husband can stand to look at her after a book like this, or eat at the same table with her, and I definitely don't see how he can bring himself to have sex with her.

During the time I was reading the book, I kept telling myself that it had to get better, that it couldn't possibly be this bad, but it never did. I wanted to run with scissors. It was a much more enjoyable thought than having to read through that scum. I shall never buy another one of her books and I hope her "Sex and the City" fans take her out and tar and feather her.

No comments: