Monday, December 15, 2008

Weekend Update: Sugar High



I don't really have much of any interest to say about the weekend. Friday we watched "Heroes" with the kids and ate thumbprint cookies. The cookies were awesome and the show is still fantastic. Then Fukui-san and I watched a very, very lame movie. The actors were: Clive Owen, Jonathan Rhys Meyers and the guy from Clockwork Orange, the movie is called, "I'll Sleep When I Die". Truthfully, I wouldn't even recommend it for the dead. It was awful. I stayed up and watched Alvin and the Chipmunks with Thing 2 and was very glad I did as I really needed something to take the horrible taste out of my mouth.

Saturday was a busy day in the house, Fukui-san had tons of work, and the kids were feeling less than awesome so I made tea and sat with them. We read and basically had a lazy day. I made an awesome red wine risotto and fish. Since it was a pretty bland day I went out and rented a movie which I thought was going to be mediocre, but Thing 1 really wanted to see it so I got it. As it turns out, it was great and we all enjoyed it a lot - more on that another day.

Sunday Fukui-san made pancakes - which were really great. The grown ups had pancakes with blackcurrant jam and the kids had a little pancake with demerara sugar. I thought for a moment I was going to have to call the family doctor for insulin shots. In the end the only issue with piles of sugar is the dreaded sugar high which made the kids extra wired, edgy and generally a real pain. (Note to self: find demerara sugar and throw it away, get "Men in Black" memory eraser and zap them.) They think it's fun to crunch on the crystals - I can do without it. In order to try to cure them of their ennui I decided we should have a little rainy day party, so we made Cholula burger with chips, carrot sticks and dip. Very fun! I don't think I have to tell you that I didn't give them any dessert.

It was one of those rainy days where you just feel like sleeping - so I did. Then I read some of my awesome book - more on that another day. Providentially, there was a classic favorite movie of mine on, "Funny Face" with Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire. Meury and I watched it while we drank some awesome tea Greti gave me called Sweet Cinnamon Spice.

BTW, if you're wondering what the picture has to do with anything, I'll tell you right now that the answer is nothing. I didn't know what to put so I decided to go with a pic of my happy place.

No comments: